The following materials examine the subject of medical professionalism. Names in bold indicate ABIM Foundation trustees or staff members.
- ABIM Foundation, ACP–ASIM Foundation, European Federation of Internal Medicine. Medical Professionalism in the New Millennium: A Physician Charter. Annals of Internal Medicine 2002;136(3):243.
- American Board of Internal Medicine. ABIM Project Professionalism. ABIM; 1995.
- ABIM Foundation, American College of Physicians, Institute on Medicine as a Profession. Leveraging the Power of Medical Professionalism to Improve Health Care: A New Platform for Reform. Summary of a Roundtable on Advancing 21st Century Medical Professionalism: A Multi-Stakeholder Approach. January 13-14, 2009.
- Bell SK, Moorman DW, Delbanco T. Improving the Patient, Family, and Clinician Experience After Harmful Events: The "When Things Go Wrong" Curriculum. Acad Med. 2010 Jun;85(6):1010-7.
- Berwick D. The epitaph of profession. Br J Gen Pract .2009;59(559):128-131.
Blank L, Kimball H, McDonald W, Merino J. Medical Professionalism in the New Millennium: A Physician Charter 15 Months Later. Ann Intern Med. 2003;138(10):839.
- Bryden P, Ginsburg S, Kurabi B, Ahmed N. Professing Professionalism: Are We Our Own Worst Enemy? Faculty Members' Experiences of Teaching and Evaluating Professionalism in Medical Education at One School. Acad Med. 2010 Jun;85(6):1025-34.
- Campbell EG, Regan S, Gruen RL, Ferris TG, Rao SR, Cleary PD, et al. Professionalism in Medicine: Results of a National Survey of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147(11):795-W234.
- Cohen JJ, Cruess S, Davidson C. Alliance Between Society and Medicine: the Public’s Stake in Medical Professionalism. JAMA. 2007; 8(8): 670-673.
Cunningham, AT, Bernabeo, EC, Wolfson, DB, Lesser CS. Organisational Strategies to Cultivate Professional Values and Behaviours. BMJ. 2011
- Freidson, Eliot. Profession of medicine: a study of the sociology of applied knowledge. New York: Harper & Row; 1970.
- Hafferty FW. Professionalism: The Next Wave. N Engl J Med. 2006; 11(16): 2151-2152.
- Hafferty FW, Levinson D. Moving Beyond Nostalgia and Motives: Towards a Complexity Science View of Medical Professionalism. Perspect Biol Med. 2008;51(4):599-615.
- Hafferty FW, Castellani B. The Increasing Complexities of Professionalism. Acad Med. 2010 Feb;85(2):288-301.
- Hui EC. The Contemporary Healthcare Crisis in China and the Role of Medical Professionalism. J Med Philos. 2010:jhq031.
- Jain SH, Cassel CK. Societal Perceptions of Physicians: Knights, Knaves or Pawns? JAMA. 2010;304(9):1009-10.
- Lucey C, Souba W. Perspective: The Problem With the Problem of Professionalism. Acad Med. 2010 Jun;85(6):1018-24.
- Parsons, Talcott. The Professions and Social Structure. Soc Forces. 1939;17(4):457-467.
- Schlesinger M. A Loss of Faith: The Sources of Reduced Political Legitimacy for the American Medical Profession. Milbank Mem Fund Q. 2002;80(2):185.
- Sox HC. The Ethical Foundations of Professionalism. CHEST. 2007;131(5):1532-1540.
- Spandorfer J, Pohl CA, Rattner SL, Nasca TJ, editors. Professionalism in Medicine: A Case-Based Guide for Medical Students. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press; 2009.
- Sullivan, William. Work and Integrity: The Crisis and Promise of Professionalism in America, 2nd Edition. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 2004.
- Swick H. Toward a normative definition of medical professionalism. Acad Med. 2000;75(6):612-616.
- Wynia M, Latham S, Kao A, Berg J, Emanuel L. Medical professionalism in society. N Engl J Med.